VISIT: Cruise Traveler Magazine|Cruise Reviews Online|Return to Home Port

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Getting Your Child a Passport

Getting Your Child a Passport

If you're planning a family trip abroad this summer, keep in mind that everyone, including small children and infants, need a passport to travel overseas. As a parent or legal guardian, you can apply for the passport on your child's behalf, but your child must be with you (all first-time passport applicants must apply in person).

What To Bring:
1. Application form DS-11.
2. Two regulation passport photos of your child (2x2inches in size, color, taken in the past six months and identical)
3. Proof of your child's citizenship such as a certified birth certificate
4. Proof of your relationship to the child -- if you are the child's parent and your name is on your child's birth certificate, the certified birth certificate will suffice
5. Proof of your identity such as a passport or valid drivers license
6. Money for the passport application fees ($82 for first-time passports for children under 16, $67 for renewals) Who to bringAs mentioned above, your child must be with you to apply for his / her passport.

In addition, both parents must appear with the child at time of application or one parent may appear with a notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child. If you are a single parent, you may apply for the child's passport alone with proof of sole authority to apply such as judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent or a death certificate of non-applying parent, among others.

For all acceptable documentation visit Travel.State.Gov.If a third-party in is applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 14 he or she must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian. If your child is to young to sign his or her passport, the parent or guardian must print the child's name on the passport and sign their own name. In parentheses next to the adult's signature indicate the relationship to the child.
Where to go.....
There are over 6,000 passport acceptance facilites in the United States. Click here to search by zip code.

for more infomration visit

Cruise Traveler Magazine is an online cruise magazine offering an unbiased cruise guide, latest cruise news, cruise reviews, tips, feature cruise articles, and need to know information about cruising. Editorially independent of travel providers or cruise lines.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home